by Shayne Thomas
23 Oct 2019
When Content Means More Than Compliance
A learning content subscription is your ticket for building a culture of learning
A lot of people talk about content these days—and for good reason. But you can’t really call this a new fad or an emerging trend because it was less than 10 years ago when virtually everyone (yes, everyone!) was screaming “content is king” from the rafters. And although this isn’t new news today, it’s a telling sign that content, in all its many forms, has become more firmly ingrained in our personal and professional lives than ever before. You could even say that it has become the proverbial “glue” that keeps our multi-channel, media-saturated lives together.
So, why is content such a big deal still? For starters, it allows us to know what’s going on in the world around us. It keeps us informed and engaged. It plays a huge role in how we keep ourselves entertained when our brains need a break from soaking up all that other information. And for businesses like yours, it’s a valuable tool that can motivate and empower your employees to learn, develop new skills, and grow into the future career of their dreams.
When you come to Cornerstone, you get access to tons of solutions to help you improve and streamline your own HR processes. But what many don’t know is that we also offer a learning content subscription service that equips you with more content than you could ever imagine, so you can build a truly successful culture of learning for all of your employees.
It’s important to note, however, that for us, content is not just another word for compliance. While that can certainly be part of your learning content offering, you must also give your employees easy access to learning opportunities that stretch far beyond business requirements or job duties. It’s about showing your employees that you truly care about their future while also amplifying the contributions they currently make to your business.
Learning is critical for the success of any business
A business that doesn’t take the time to learn—from senior management all the way down the chain—is a business that should never expect dynamic growth. After all, by not building and nurturing a culture of learning, you will forever continue down the path of “status quo.” And let’s face it, who wants to work at a company that doesn’t push itself to evolve and grow over time? (Hint: definitely not millennials!)
So, to make sure you’re giving learning in the workplace the attention it truly deserves, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Competitive advantage: Having a robust and well-established learning and development program is a great recruitment talking point. Today’s job seekers like to know that their future employers are dedicated to their betterment, development, and advancement. It’s pretty attracting being able to say that you not only have career tools in place to help employees at all levels and responsibilities do their jobs better but also that you encourage them to take advantage of it for their personal growth, too.
- Employee retention: As we’ve mentioned before, learning and retention go hand-in-hand. In fact, 71% of millennials most likely to leave their job in the next two years are typically unhappy with how their leadership skills are being developed. This further reiterates what was said above: that learning needs to be more than just compliance and mandatory trainings. Quite to the contrary, it must deliver value for employees, well beyond the workplace.
- Never too old to learn: The truth is, learning isn’t only for new or junior employees. Learning is valid—and must be embraced—at all levels of the organization. This means that leaders should take advantage of any content that will help them become better managers while individual contributors can tap into these resources to keep them agile, adaptable, and up-to-date on the latest tools, trends, and best practices. A strong learning content library can cover all of these bases (and more!).
Great content fuels lifelong learning
You might be reading this and thinking to yourself that you already have plenty of learning resources in place. If that’s true, good for you—you’re already way ahead of the pack. However, how much content around critically important soft skills or even non-job-related personal development do you offer? If your response was, “not much,” then you’ve just uncovered a gap—can one that can be filled by a carefully curated learning content subscription.
Here are a few questions that you might want to ask before getting started with Cornerstone:
- Is it worth the investment? This one’s a no-brainer (especially if you’ve been reading along up to this point). The answer is a resounding yes. And because we’ve taken the time to curate our content offering, it makes it quicker and easier for your employees to figure out what’s most relevant and interesting for them to take.
- Will it save time? For businesses, it provides you and your employees with fresh and constantly updated content around the clock that can be tailored to your business’s needs. For employees, we give you the ability to create learning content “playlists” that provide a package of content (vs. one course) around specific themes or skills. Truthfully, it’s never been easier (or more fun) to learn.
- How much content do I have to create? The good news here is that you don’t have to do anything (if you don’t want to). Let us do the heavy lifting of creating the best learning content possible and then making it available to your employees on your learning and development platform. The added perk: because we’ve already got our content experts in place developing this content means you don’t have to work with a wide variety of content creators on each of your learning projects.
- How much do I need to do? You just need to make the investment and work with us to ensure that, at launch, your employees will flock to your newly brandished learning and development platform on their own—and over and over again. Again, we do the hard part and work with you to make sure your learning content subscription library is implemented flawlessly.
The big takeaway here should be simple: Cornerstone offers a robust learning content subscription offering that will help you elevate your learning and development to all new levels. To learn more, be sure to download our Content Anytime one-sheet and then do not hesitate to reach out with questions. We are here to help you every step of the way to build a culture of lifelong learning within your business.