by Susan Jeffery
12 Jun 2019
4 REASONS you should invest in a learning content strategy
31% of millennials reported that they would leave their current position due to a lack of learning opportunities. People are your most important asset and your business needs to provide opportunities for employees to grow professionally and develop their skills - especially if you want to retain top talent. Learning content is no longer just used to “check a box”. Rather, it’s become a strategic differentiator between successful companies, and those becoming obsolete.
Learning content is one of the most significant investments when it comes to the employee experience.
You wouldn’t buy a bookshelf without adding books, would you?
Infuse a modern learning strategy into your recruiting strategy to gain a competitive edge.
83% of HR professionals say that “employee experience” is either important or very important to their company’s success, and to enhance the experience more training is their top investment. American employers invest more than $6.8 billion a year alone in buying learning content, which accounts for nearly 10% of the $70 billion spent on Learning and Development overall.
When done right, investing in modern learning content and a strategy to support it can revolutionize the way you:
1. Attract top talent
Modern learners want (and expect) opportunities to grow and develop.
- 6 out of 10 employees join a company for better career development opportunity.
- 59% of millennials; 44% of Gen Xers and 41% of baby boomers say opportunities to learn and grow are extremely important to them when applying for a job.
- More than 70% of companies report that online learning helps boost their competitive edge
2. Onboard and engage talent
- Companies that embrace and build a strong learning culture can boost employee productivity by up to 50%.
- Learning opportunities are among the largest drivers of employee engagement and strong workplace culture – they are a part of the entire employee experience, not merely a way to build skills.
3. Retain hard-won talent
- Modern learners want career-fulfilling, self-driven development opportunities that are directly tied to goal-and-feedback-focused performance evaluations.
- 1 in 3 companies struggle to retain top talent
- 52% of millennials say opportunities for career progression is the most desirable quality in a workplace, competitive wages and financial incentives (44%), good training and development programs (35%)
- 87% of millennials rate “professional or career growth and development opportunities” as important to them in a job; 69% of non-millennials agree.
- 42% of Millennials want feedback every week. This is over twice the percentage of every other generation.
- 6 in 10 Millennials cite a “sense of purpose,” as part of the reason they chose to work for their current employers.
4. Achieve business goals
Proving the value of your learning content strategy to leadership is equally important as getting modern learners to engage with it.
Good news, the business leaders see the need! 92% of executives agree there is a skills gap in the U.S. workforce. 90% of executives say that learning and development programs would help close the gap.
What’s the needle you’re trying to move?
hint: it should align to a larger business goal
Modern learning content in the digital age
A learning content strategy must align to business goals AND empower modern learners to continuously adapt, evolve, and flex new skills.
70% of CEO’s say their company does not have the skills to adapt to the digital age.
35% of core job skills will change by 2020.
There’s an app for that
40-60% online learning typically requires 40 to 60 percent less employee time than classroom training.
The new in-formal learning architecture
Modern companies are investing in learning content that evolves as quickly as employees do.
Facilitate learning experiences that are accessible, social, and intuitive.
67% of people learn on mobile devices. Bring learning to where employees are.
87% of employees say sharing knowledge with their teams is vital for learning what they need for their jobs. Foster social collaboration and put learners in the driver seat, to inspire great work.
1% of a an employee’s typical workweek is focused on training and development (24 minutes a week). Infuse learning into existing work flows to simplify the employee experience.
Become a learning company. Discover how to build a learning content strategy that engages modern learners and proves value to leadership.
The Corporate Learning Factbook 2013, Bersin by Deloitte / Karen O’Leonard, January 2013. http://www.bersin.com/clf-us
LinkedIn, Job Switchers Report 2016. https://business.linkedin. com/content/dam/business/talent-solutions/global/en_us/ job-switchers/PDF/job-switchers-global-report-english.pdf
Gallup, How Millennials Want to Work and Live, http://www.gallup.com/reports/189830/millennials-work-live.aspx
World Economic Forum, The Future of Jobs Report 2016 PewResearch, Oct 2016 CertifyMe http://www.certifyme.net Ambient Insight 2012-2017 Worldwide Mobile Learning Market
Bersin, Global Human Capital Trends 2016
CareerBuilder, 2014, http://www.careerbuilder.com/share/aboutus/ pressreleasesdetail.aspx?sd=2%2f19%2f2014&siteid=cbpr&sc_ cmp1=cb_pr804_&id=pr804&ed=12%2f31%2f2014
PWC, Millennials at Work: Reshaping the workplace, http://www.pwc.com/gx/en/issues/talent/future-of-work/ millennials-survey.html
Gallup, What Millennials Want From Work and Life, 2016 http://www.gallup.com/businessjournal/191435/ millennials-work-life.aspx
Ultimate Software, http://www.ultimatesoftware.com/Contact/ hr-whitepaper-is-there-really-a-generational-divide-at-work
Deloitte, Millennial Survey 2015, https://www2.deloitte.com/sg/en/ pages/about-deloitte/articles/deloitte-millennial-survey-2015.html
Adecco, State of the Economy Survey, 2014: http://pages.adeccousa.com/rs/adeccousa/images/ 2014-mind-the-skills-gap.pdf
Bersin, 2017 Deloitte Global Human Capital Trends 2017, https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/pages/human-capital/ articles/introduction-human-capital-trends.html
Report 2016 PewResearch, Oct 2016 CertifyMe http://www.certifyme.net Ambient Insight 2012-2017 Worldwide Mobile Learning Market
eLearning Magazine 2013 Brandon Hall Study http://www.brandon-hall.com
Elucidat, Modern Learner Infographic, https://blog.elucidat.com/modern-learner-profile-infographic
Learning in the Workplace Survey, Centre for Learning & Performance Technologies / Jane Hart, June 4, 2014, http://c4lpt.co.uk/litw-results/.